Disability Specialists specialise in functional assessment reports for funding, disability building, access consulting, and training. 

What type of NDIS assessments can OT's complete? 


Supported Independent Living (SILS) – Are you looking to move out of home and live with other? For clients requiring support worker assistance in the home environment to assist with activities of daily living, developing and building life skills.

Social Participation – assistance in the community to achieve your NDIS goals.

Occupational Therapy Functional Assessments – Disability Specialists provide reports for all disabilities including; intellectual, sensory, physical and cognitive-behavioural. A functional assessment provides a well-rounded picture of the client at that point in time of strengths and limitations in physical, sensory and cognitive areas of all aspects of activities of daily living. The OT also provides a full list of recommendations at the end of the report to assist you with future support requests at your planning meeting, review or appeals stages.

Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) – Would you like your own accessible home in Cairns or surrounds to live in? SDA is a highly specialised area of OT. Your OT at Disability Specialists is an associate member of the Association Consultants of Access Australia (ACAA) therefore you can rely on knowledge and expertise.

Behaviours – Behaviour advice and interventions for families in the home or provider day programs.  Behaviours of concern also assessed.

Hydrotherapy – anti-gravity rehabilitation exercise programs or training for a  support worker

Assistive technology reports – OT's are trained in small and large equipment prescription.  Some OT areas are highly specialized such as spinal and cerebral palsy. Remember there are different levels of AT and types under the NDIS for funding purposes.

Housing Modifications – most OT's can assist with minor modifications to home and assist with the required documentation.  However, when you start getting into large home modifications this is a specialized area.

What is an Occupational Therapist (OT) and what do they do?

Occupational Therapists are trained clinicians who must possess health board registration with AHPRA, just like your Doctor, Dentist or Physio.


OT is the abbreviated acronym for Occupational Therapist as it can be quite a mouthful to pronounce.

OT’s are trained in physical, sensory, behavioural and intellectual conditions.

OT's study psychology and neuroscience to better assist in treating mental health clients. 

Remember to ask your OT if they provide services in the area you are seeking as OT's work and specialize in many different areas. Depending on where your OT initially trained depends on what areas they may choose to specialize in.

OT practice areas include; rehabilitation i.e. strokes, acquired brain injury and accidents, pediatrics i.e. child learning delays and development, medical and surgical i.e. assistance post-injury or accidents, aged care i.e. physical and cognitive assessments and treatments, mining i.e. a specialized area, accident and emergency i.e. burns and hand injuries, plus many more areas.

OT’s can be found working within a hospital, community setting, private clinics, and rural and remote practice.